Hey guys, I’m a sophomore at a liberal arts school. I’m currently getting my B.A. in Education with a concentration in Music.
My question is, will that be enough to get me into a good Masters program for Music Education? Should I transfer to a music school and get a B.M. in Music Ed instead?
I should probably note that I’m from NY and my B.A. is in Early Childhood education. I’m looking to be the primary music teacher at an elementary school (ie. teach the general music class as well as maybe lead an ensemble).
My question is really, will a good music school (I’m particularly looking at Crane in Potsdam, NY, but I know it’s very competitive) laugh me out the door because I don’t have a B.M.? Would a B.A. in EC Education even leave me eligible to go to music school for my masters?
Here’s what I’ve Learned:
It depends a bit on what age/grade levels you intend on working with and what state you plan to get credentialed in. If you intend on teaching college or university, then an ed’. degree may be a colossal waste of time. In some states, the degree program I’m are currently working on is only good for a K-8 credential, which means you would not be able to teach high school. I need research different states credentialing rules and then make a more informed decision on whether to switch programs or not.
How Quickly Water Damage Expands?
- Water damage spreads to unaffected areas
- Moisture sensitive surfaces swell and disfigure
- Furniture stains appear on carpeting and are usually permanent
- Paper goods and records are ruined
- Rust stains appear on carpeting and other surfaces
- Drapery fabrics that contact water may develop permanent watermarks.
- Pre-existing moisture related problems are activated
- Drywall softens and warps
- Cellulosice browning may occur on natural fabrics
- Foam cushion (carpet pad) can begin to disintegrate
- Bacterial odor problems begin to develop
- Wood furniture, in contact with water, can become permanently ruined.
- Mildew and biological growth happens, odors begin to permeate the structure
- Wood floors are warped and ruined
- Woven carpet installations could shrink
- Delamination of tufted carpet is possible
- Vinyl floor coverings can permanently discolor, adhesives can break down
- Allergies and asthma can be aggravated.
- Structural integrity of interior wall members, sub-floors, and ceiling
installations can be permanently damaged.
- Mold can permanently stain/damage natural materials
- Serious health hazards to occupants of buildings have developed.
If your property has water damage EVERY MINUTE Counts!
Water Damage Cleanup
When your Austin home has sustained water damage, the results are nothing less than devastating. From the personal property that must be replaced due to the water to the priceless heirlooms that must be disposed of, your life will feel as though it has been turned upside down. There are some actions you can take to provide the necessary means to save a lot of the personal property and furniture within your home in these situations. However, it is important to ensure that these actions are properly handled or the results can actually be worse than the initial water damage.
- Step 1: Move all furniture items affected by the water to the exterior of the home.
Furniture that has been saturated by the water should be moved to areas such as driveway, opened garage or carport. If these areas are not available or if adequate air ventilation and sunshine is not available you can place these furniture items directly on your lawn. This will allow the water to evaporate and dry while allowing a freer area to work on the interior of the home without having to maneuver around the furniture.
- Step 2: Create adequate ventilation on the interior of the home.
In areas where you will be doing the cleaning, make sure that proper ventilation is utilized. Open any windows and use large fans to circulate the area and provide some drying assistance for the areas affected by the water. Providing the extra circulation of air and ventilation, you will be decreasing the opportunity for microorganisms such as mold and algae to develop while you are performing the water damage repair.
Step 3: Use a submersible pump to remove large amounts of excessive water. If there is an excessive amount of water that is pooling in the area where you are working, using a submersible pump that is piped to a sufficient drainage area can prove to be a major help. It is important that the water that is pumped out be drained away from the foundation of the home by at least 20 feet. This will prevent the water from running into the basement as it gathers on the exterior of the home creating even more problems.
- Step 4: Use equipment such as a shop vac to remove excessive water from stationary items such as carpet, furniture and other areas of the home.
These pieces of equipment are essential when performing water damage cleaning services as they provide the means to remove excessive water in a quick and easy manner. Make sure that water is dumped from these pieces of equipment regularly to ensure that they are getting the most water from these areas as possible.
- Step 5: Clean and dry personal items such as clothing, bedding, curtains and furniture covers.
For most items, you can use your own residential washer and dryer to perform these water damage restoration tasks. However, if you have large items such as drapery, furniture covers or comforters that are too big for these residential units, you will need to take them to a Cleaners. For dry clean only items that are saturated with water lay them over a railing or clothing line on the exterior of your home to dry out before taking them to a dry cleaner. This will help you to assess the damage during your cleaning tasks.
You can enlist the help of a professional for large water damage cleaning projects or when you do not have the ability to perform the tasks yourself. Austin water damage restoration professionals have the equipment and training that will provide the services that are ideal for your water damage cleaning needs. Austin professionals have the ability to respond and work quickly to your cleaning needs. Reputable companies have licensed, bonded and insured professionals on their staff that will conduct the services you can trust on the interior of your home.